ADSM-L

Re: IBM 3584 Problems (tapes getting stuck in control path drive) with Solaris

2003-11-10 14:09:41
Subject: Re: IBM 3584 Problems (tapes getting stuck in control path drive) with Solaris
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:09:19 -0500
>I noticed a while back that a few people were having problems with the IBM3
>584's and some flavours of Unix. The problems mainly surrounded the issue of
>LTO
>tapes getting stuck in the drive that is also the control path for the library.
>
>I'm having the same problem now with both of my Solaris servers and my two 3584
>libraries. I have G2 drives at 2CKH firmware and when I perform an audit libr
>the tape that gets placed into drive 1 (element 257) always gets stuck and
>never
>ejects. I've also had scenarios where I have had to get an en gineer in to
>remove the tape manually. I am going via SAN and am sharing the tape drives out
>to Solaris and Windows systems. Everything seems to be go ing to plan so far
>(apart from the performance on the Solaris SAN clients) and LAN-free backups
>are
>working perfectly. I have noticed the tapes to get stuck in the same drives
>when
>performing a backup stg from one library to another.
>
>Anyone ever know what resolved this? I'm beginning to tear my hair out! I've
>just pulled down the latest IBMtape device drivers for Solaris (v4.0.8.0)
> but still no joy.

Host software neither causes nor fixes drive problems like these.  There are
many postings on this problem in the ADSM-L archives, speaking to a major design
problem in these drives, which is obviously well known the the IBM hardware
people.  Get your CE to fix the problem, including replacing parts and
microcode.  Stay on their case until they do.  You are paying for quality and
should expect it.

  Richard Sims, BU