ADSM-L

IBM 3584 Problems (tapes getting stuck in control path drive) with Solaris

2003-11-10 13:45:44
Subject: IBM 3584 Problems (tapes getting stuck in control path drive) with Solaris
From: Rowan O'Donoghue <R.ODonoghue AT UNITECH-IE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:50:39 +0000
Hi,

I noticed a while back that a few people were having problems with the
IBM3584's and some flavours of Unix. The problems mainly surrounded the issue
of LTO tapes getting stuck in the drive that is also the control path for the
library.

I'm having the same problem now with both of my Solaris servers and my two 3584
libraries. I have G2 drives at 2CKH firmware and when I perform an audit libr
the tape that gets placed into drive 1 (element 257) always gets stuck and
never ejects. I've also had scenarios where I have had to get an engineer in to
remove the tape manually. I am going via SAN and am sharing the tape drives out
to Solaris and Windows systems. Everything seems to be going to plan so far
(apart from the performance on the Solaris SAN clients) and LAN-free backups
are working perfectly. I have noticed the tapes to get stuck in the same drives
when performing a backup stg from one library to another.

Anyone ever know what resolved this? I'm beginning to tear my hair out! I've
just pulled down the latest IBMtape device drivers for Solaris (v4.0.8.0) but
still no joy.

Anyone?

regards,

Rowan O'Donoghue