ADSM-L

AS/400 backup to TSM

2003-11-10 12:35:16
Subject: AS/400 backup to TSM
From: Joe Crnjanski <JCrnjanski AT INFINITYNETWORK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:35:57 -0500
Hi All,

We have a potential AS/400 client.
We are running TSM server on Win2000 5.1.8.0
I'm not as/400 guru; to be more precise I don't know anything about as/400.
I downloaded Redbook "Practical Guide to Implementing TSM on AS400 sg245472"
and try to get familiar with as/400.
I know that we have to use tsm api for as/400 and that it works together with
BRMS/400. Customer will help us to install it.

Question that he asked me: " Is it possible to have all data backed up to TSM
or we still have to use our tape backup".

This Redbook refers to as/400 v4r3; and it says Operating system, system
libraries, security objects, IBM supplied libraries and licensed programs  CAN
NOT be backed up to TSM; they can only be saved to local device (tape). So, we
cannot fully recover as/400 system using only TSM.

Does anybody knows if this is true, or something changed in newer versions.

Joe Crnjanski
Infinity Network Solutions Inc.
Phone: 416-235-0931 x26
Fax:     416-235-0265