ADSM-L

Re: device class mount point mixed library (DLT7000 and SDLT320)

2003-11-08 12:32:41
Subject: Re: device class mount point mixed library (DLT7000 and SDLT320)
From: Kurt Beyers <kurt.beyers AT PANDORA DOT BE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 18:32:48 +0100
IBM guarantueed me that a mixture of DLT7000 and SDLT is supported in the
same library. I've given them the same remarks as you've made during the
discussion.

It is already a bit more clear to me, but not yet completely.

If you do a 'query drive f=d', you see all the formats that the drive can
read and can write to. In the device class definition, the format is
specified explicitly this time (DLT35C or SDLT320C). The storage pools have
a specific device class, so TSM can determine which drive can be used for a
read or write operation. This explains why the SDLT320 drives are used as
well for the read operation of a DLT7000 tape. TSM doesn't have any
preference for the drive to be used, any drive that can read the tape has
the same chance to be used.

But why I do get the warning 'ANR1145W ' from time to time, is still not
clear to me.

And if you label a new tape and check it in as scratch, how does TSM knows
which drive should be used. The tape doesn't belong to a storage pool yet.

Kurt