ADSM-L

Re: Help with TSM server being hammered by clients

2003-11-05 14:17:18
Subject: Re: Help with TSM server being hammered by clients
From: "French, Michael" <Michael.French AT SAVVIS DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:16:15 -0600
        If you have anymore questions about my system layout, contact
me:

1.  The server is a Sun 4500 with 4 400MHz Sparc III procs and 4GB RAM.
Attached to the system is 1 D100 disk array used to hold the OS.  All of
the TSM volumes are held on A5200 fiber channel arrays (3 of them
containing 66 disk drives).
2. tsm: I02SV1000>q dbvol f=d

Volume Name         Copy      Volume Name         Copy      Volume Name
Copy      Available    Allocated
(Copy 1)            Status    (Copy 2)            Status    (Copy 3)
Status        Space        Space

(MB)         (MB)        (MB)
----------------    ------    ----------------    ------
----------------    ------    ---------    ---------    --------
/adsmdb2/db1a       Sync'd    /adsmdb2m/db1am     Sync'd
Undef-        8,352        8,352

ined
/adsmdb3/db1a       Sync'd    /adsmdb3m/db1am     Sync'd
Undef-        8,500        8,352

ined
/adsmdb4/db1a       Sync'd    /adsmdb4m/db1am     Sync'd
Undef-        8,352        8,352

ined
/adsmdb5/db1a       Sync'd    /adsmdb5m/db1am     Sync'd
Undef-        8,352        8,352

ined
/adsmdb10/db1a      Sync'd    /adsmdb10m/db1am    Sync'd
Undef-        8,352        8,352

ined
/adsmdb9/db1a       Sync'd    /adsmdb9m/db1am     Sync'd
Undef-        8,352        8,352

ined
/adsmdb8/db1a       Sync'd    /adsmdb8m/db1am     Sync'd
Undef-        8,352        8,352

ined
/adsmdb7/db1a       Sync'd    /adsmdb7m/db1am     Sync'd
Undef-        8,352        8,352

ined
/adsmdb6/db1a       Sync'd    /adsmdb6m/db1am     Sync'd
Undef-        8,352        8,352

ined
/adsmdb1/db1a       Sync'd    /adsmdb1m/db1am     Sync'd
Undef-        8,352        8,352

ined

tsm: I02SV1000>q logvol f=d

Volume Name         Copy      Volume Name         Copy      Volume Name
Copy      Available    Allocated
(Copy 1)            Status    (Copy 2)            Status    (Copy 3)
Status        Space        Space

(MB)         (MB)        (MB)
----------------    ------    ----------------    ------
----------------    ------    ---------    ---------    --------
/adsmlog2/log4      Sync'd    /adsmlog2m/log4m    Sync'd
Undef-          300          300

ined
/adsmlog1/log2      Sync'd    /adsmlog1m/log2m    Sync'd
Undef-          100          100

ined
/adsmlog1/log1      Sync'd    /adsmlog1m/log1m    Sync'd
Undef-        4,096        4,096

ined
/adsmlog1/log4      Sync'd                        Undef-
Undef-          200          200
                                                   ined
ined

tsm: I02SV1000>q vol

Volume Name                  Storage         Device         Estimated
Pct      Volume
                             Pool Name       Class Name      Capacity
Util      Status
                                                                 (MB)
------------------------     -----------     ----------     ---------
-----     --------
/dev/vx/rdsk/datadg/ads-     BACKUPPOOL      DISK            36,864.0
64.1     On-Line
 mdata1
/dev/vx/rdsk/datadg/ads-     BACKUPPOOL      DISK            36,864.0
72.0     On-Line
 mdata2
/dev/vx/rdsk/datadg/ads-     BACKUPPOOL      DISK            36,864.0
47.3     On-Line
 mdata3
/dev/vx/rdsk/datadg/ads-     BACKUPPOOL      DISK            36,864.0
56.4     On-Line
 mdata4
/dev/vx/rdsk/datadg/ads-     BACKUPPOOL      DISK            36,864.0
49.7     On-Line
 mdata5
/dev/vx/rdsk/datadg/ads-     BACKUPPOOL      DISK            36,864.0
79.0     On-Line

3.  File system is UFS and VXFS (for all TSM volumes).
4.  RAID is software with Veritas Volume Manager.
5.  Each DB and Log volume is on it's own disk group.  The unfortunate
problem is that they are on mounted file system partitions instead of
raw volumes.  In doing benchmark testing, this had a dramatic effect on
backup performance.  The main issue seemed to be the diskpool volumes
which were easy to convert to raw, at least compared to doing the DB
volumes, so I have already done that several weeks ago.  I am planning
on doing the DB and log vols soon.  I did not see any performance gain
with backups of many large files, just on medium and large ones.
6. Yes, the volumes are seperated by type.
7.  Most volumes appear to be broken out over two physical disks.  I am
not sure how many spindles each disk has.  They are mostly 9GB and 18GB
FC drives.
8.  tsm: I02SV1000>q db f=d

          Available Space (MB): 83,520
        Assigned Capacity (MB): 83,520
        Maximum Extension (MB): 0
        Maximum Reduction (MB): 14,832
             Page Size (bytes): 4,096
            Total Usable Pages: 21,381,120
                    Used Pages: 8,748,928
                      Pct Util: 40.9
                 Max. Pct Util: 41.2
              Physical Volumes: 20
             Buffer Pool Pages: 393,216
         Total Buffer Requests: 10,118,152
                Cache Hit Pct.: 96.81
               Cache Wait Pct.: 0.00

9.  Disk caching is being used as far as I can tell, though I don't know
exactly what to look for on Solaris.  The buff pool in TSM is set to:

BufPoolSize: 1,572,864 K

Michael French
Savvis Communications
IDS01 Santa Clara, CA