ADSM-L

compare and restore only certain files - how?

2003-11-04 03:46:15
Subject: compare and restore only certain files - how?
From: Tobias Hofmann <tobias.hofmann AT MEDIEN.UNI-WEIMAR DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:43:12 +0100
Ladies, gentlemen,

[Environment: Server Win2k, 5.1.0.0, Client Win2k, 5.1.1.0]

I am in the process of restoring about 500gig of data on a Win2k client
after having experienced some raid-problems. While restoring, the client
went into a freeze and could only be started with a hard reboot, after
already having restored about 180gig of data. Restarting the restore was
not possible.

The question now is the following:

I am afraid that the system froze with maybe a large file (film) being
restored only partially - would a restore with the option not to
overwrite existing file still restore this only partially restored file?

Or put differently: can I do a compare of files in my backup with the
current state of files on my HD to find the files I would have to
restore to have all files on my HD be of the exact state as in my backup?

I searched the archive to no avail and would be very thankful for any
pointer or RTFM/RTFFAQ on this.

TIA and kind regards,

tobi... :)

Dipl.-Ing. Tobias Hofmann   Bauhaus-Universitaet Weimar  D99423 Weimar
Professur fuer Graphische Datenverarbeitung      Projekt medienquadrat
SnailMail:  Bauhaus-Universitaet  Weimar,  Fak. Medien,  D99421 Weimar
Location:     D99423 Weimar     Karl-Haussknechtstr. 7      Zimmer 111
                Fon: ++49-(0)3643-58-3780  Fax : -3701
          e-mail: mailto:tobias.hofmann AT medien.uni-weimar DOT de