ADSM-L

Re: server to server question

2003-11-01 20:47:12
Subject: Re: server to server question
From: Dmitri Pasyutin <pasd AT MAIL DOT RU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 02:46:40 +0100
> I read that the data to the target system will come in the archive pool.
> My question is; what is the meaning of "Retain Version" in the Archive Copy
> Group ?
>
> If I put 365 in it, will all my data be lost after 365 days or will there
> still be one active version left ?
>
> We had a value of NOLIMIT in it, but there is an inconsistance between the
> data TSM thinks we have at our site (+/- 2 TB) and the data TSM at the
> recovery site thinks we have (-/+ 10 TB)

My guess is that you are not reclaiming the virtual volumes on the source
TSM server, that's why you're observing such a large gap between the source
and the target. When virtual volumes are reclaimed and deleted on the source
server, the archive data on the target is marked as expired, and expiration
needs to be run locally on the target server to free up scratch tapes. Some
difference will still exist between the source and the target, and will
depend on how well you reclaim the virtual volumes on the source.

As for the retain limit on the archive copy group, it depends on the lifetime
of the virtual volumes on the source server. If a virtual volume is not
reclaimed within 365 days, the archive data on the target server will be
deleted and there will be an inconsistency between the source and the target
(you will then need to run 'reconcile volumes'). If you are doing archives on
the source server with 10 years retention, you will need to extend the
retention on the target server to at least that long. To save trouble, you
can set the retention on the target to 'nolimit' and be sure to reclaim the
virtual volumes on the source in a timely manner.

Cheers
Dmitri