ADSM-L

Re: NO tapes!!!

2003-10-24 08:06:30
Subject: Re: NO tapes!!!
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 08:04:48 -0400
>There is no tape backup produced at all since wednesday. We are using the
>TSM Operational Reporting and nothing showing us that there is a
>problem...

You learn the limits of generalized monitoring aids...
Pursue the basics: Look in your server Activity Log for indications of
problems in general.  Was the client machine even up to run a backup?
Was it supposed to produce the backup via a Client Schedule, and was the
scheduler not running on that client (or the alternate dsmcad not running)?
Any errors in the client's dsmerror.log?

Basically, gather facts from all the places where things are supposed to
be done to facilitate the backup, and see what happened.  The obvious
thing is to determine what happened in the Wednesday timeframe to cause
the backups to stop.  The is where the discipline of a system change log
comes in handy at a data processing site: who changed what, when, why.

  Richard Sims, BU