ADSM-L

Here's an intersting event . . .

2003-10-22 17:48:10
Subject: Here's an intersting event . . .
From: Tom Kauffman <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:46:18 -0500
Burned us on the last D/R test, turns out to be very reproduceable

Using TDP_R3 3.2.0.8, TSM API 4.2.1.11 (yeah, I know, we're downlevel) and
TSM server 5.1.6.3 (AIX 5.1, 64-bit, both systems)

1) set up management class, storage pool, and copygroup for tape only
2) configure init<SID>.utl for 4 sessions with this management class
3) run offline backup and verify that 4 tapes are used in 4 tapedrives
4) run online backup and verify four tapes in four drives
5) set up copy pool
6) ba stg <primary> <copy> maxproc=2 and watch that the data copies
7) ba stg <primary> <copy> preview=yes and verify 0 files to be copied
8) mark the four primary pool tapes unavailable
9) update the init<SID>.utl to use 2 sessions
10) restore from the ONLINE backup ( step 4) -- watch it blow up, storage
media unavailable AFTER restoring some data from the copypool tapes.
11) restore from the OFFLINE backup (step 3) and watch it work OK
12) restore from the ONLINE backup again -- and watch it run error-free.

And then
13) mark the primary tapes available
14) run another online backup
15) back up the storage pool again
16) mark the primary tapes unavailable
17) restore from the online backup (step 14) and watch it fail -- "File data
unavailable on server"
18) mark the primary tapes readwrite again
19) ba stg preview=yes and verify zero files backed up
20) restore from the online backup (step 14) and watch it run error-free
21) mark the primary tapes unavailable
22) restore from the online backup (step 14) and watch it fail -- at the
same place as step 17 (but different from step 10)
23) audit volumes (all of 'em) and get no errors . . .

I'll let you know what happens when I use the tsm 5.1.6.x API and TDP_R3
3.3.x (2?) tomorrow . . .

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail and any attachments are for the exclusive
and confidential use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not read, distribute or take action in reliance upon this
message. If you have received this in error, please notify us immediately by
return e-mail and promptly delete this message and its attachments from your
computer system. We do not waive attorney-client or work product privilege by
the transmission of this message.