ADSM-L

Export server

2003-10-17 08:06:12
Subject: Export server
From: Dave Adams <daveadams AT PHREAKER DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:48:15 +0200
We are planning to reinstall our Windows 2000-based TSM server with Linux. We
only use DASD for storage. Would the following be (roughly ;-) the correct
procedure?

1) Export the TSM server to a file device class on a non-operating system disk.
2) Reinstall the server with Linux.
3) Import the TSM server from the non-operating system disk.

Otherwise I guess I could install a whole new system for the Linux installation
and do:

 export server filedata=all toserver=linuxserver

Only thing here is that we want the Linux server to have the same hostname as
the old W2K server, which is why I thought my first idea might be easier.

Either way clients will be able to access the Linux server and do
backups/restores as they could against the W2K server, right?

Thanks

Dave