ADSM-L

AW: Named pipe as file event receiver

2003-10-16 12:09:43
Subject: AW: Named pipe as file event receiver
From: "Bleicher, Thomas" <bleicher AT NETZLINK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:02:18 +0200
Thomas Denier wrote:
> We are looking into the possibility of migrating our OS/390 TSM
> server to mainframe Linux. One of the issues we are looking into
> is management facilities. Our current inclination is to define a
> named pipe as a file event receiver and have a Perl script read
> from the named pipe and respond to various messages.

I had the same idea for a handmade console application. But then
I realised it's still not as elegant as writing a perl-module (or
python-module in my case) to wrap your own user exit. This should
not be too tricky if you have someone with C skills around.

> Second, the named pipe eliminates some inter-process synchronization
> issues. A dsmadmc process will not start when the TSM server is down
> or in the early stages of initialization.

But you still will have to make your script open the FIFO for
reading befor you can write to it (Linux will block writes if nothing
is already reading at the other end). Just a matter of the start
script but it still is something to take care of. I don't know how
TSM will react when writes to the file exit fail.

Thomas Bleicher