ADSM-L

Re: licensing (again... :( ) - some formal statements

2003-10-12 19:26:00
Subject: Re: licensing (again... :( ) - some formal statements
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 02:20:51 +0300
There IS formal definition of all those terms and it is the job of your
salesperson (be it IBM or IBM Business Partner) to provide them to you.
Last year when so called "Enhaced Value-Based Pricing" was introduced I
was able to download two files
enhanced-value-based-pricing-definitions-4-8-02.pdf
ibm-tivoli-enhanced-value-based-pricing-examples.zip
and I still have them on my computer. After tivoli.com was shut down I
cannot say where those files ought to reside (and am disgusted to search
through "improved" ibm.com)

Wanda's definition is correct though is not formal. I will try to quote
the formal definitions in attempt to answer other's concerns:

--> 'bewildered by IBM licensing' Jack & Intel XeNon (in fact xenon is a
gas, the processors are Xeon :-)))
IBM Definition: A processor is a functional unit in a computer that
interprets and executes instructions. A processor consists of at least an
instruction control unit and an arithmetic and logic unit.

Comment: as both virtual Hyperthreaded processors are implemented on one
"instruction control unit", you have to count one "real" processor.

--> each of these parts has a different number and price depending on whether
this is a TSM Standard or TSM Extended edition install.

Comment: Slightly incorrect. The prices for ITSM and ITSM XE "Processor"
licenses definitely differ as they provide different functionality, while
the prices for "Client" licenses are equal. Though the part numbers for
Client licenses are different, the "upgrade" is at no cost (and is done
only once during ITSM -> ITSM XE migration as according to IBM you cannot
mix both within a site).

--> ... it is a workstation that is used by several people at the same time.

IBM Definition: A server is a computer system that provides services to
one or more clients and/or other devices over a network.

Comment: If these people access the system from direct attached terminals
(which usually are considered part of it), the system is not sharing any
service over the network, in other words it should be standalone "Client".
If they invoke commands from they desktop/mobile PCs using application or
even telnet session (most common nowadays), the system is to be considered
server and "Processors" have to be counted.

--> my workstation, that runs a webserver for some small test (no production)

Comment: If the webserver for the "small test" is accessed from your
workstation and the service is not used over the network - it is a
"Client". If you access that web content from other computers - it is a
"Server" and needs "Processor" licenses.

--> It slips the person's mind that he needs to notify the data center of this
--> This puts the TSM administrators in the position of being software
pirates without knowing it.

Comment: It is up to company's policy how it will enforce license usage
inventory:
- will ensure via application of policies that *each* usage change is
reported (and know how to deal when is not reported);
- manually each application administrator will count the application's
usage at regular intervals (whether he/she likes or not);
- will use some usage inventory tool (be it Tivoli Inventory, now part of
IBM Tivoli Configuration Manager, or competitive product);
I do not know how is in U.S.A. but here in Bulgaria even if you are not
familiar with particular law, it does not allow you to break it and does
not prevent being punished for violation of that law.
I would personally prefer not to have printers attached to computers and
users disallowed to share folders/printers by proper access control
settings.

--> Clustered servers

IBM Definition: For programs running or resident on backup machines, IBM
defines three types of situations: cold, warm, and hot. In cold and warm
situations, a separate license for the backup copy is normally not
required and typically no additional charge applies. In a "hot" backup
situation, the customer needs to acquire another license or license
authorizations sufficient for that server.
Cold - A copy of the program may be stored for backup purposes on a
machine as long as the program has not been started. There is no
additional charge for this copy.
Warm - A copy of the program may reside for backup purposes on a machine
and is started, but is "idling", and is not doing any work of any kind.
There is no additional charge for this copy.
Hot - A copy of the program may reside for backup purposes on a machine,
is started, and is doing work. However this program must be ordered, and
here is a charge for this copy.
"Doing work", includes, for example, production, development, program
maintenance, and testing. ...

Comment: Not all servers need processors. If you have a cluster (MSCS or
HACMP) and second system is used only for high-availability
(active/passive cluster), you will need licenses only for the production
server. If working components are split within the cluster with mutual
takeover (active/active cluster), you need licenses for both/all systems
in the cluster.

--> everything is a workstation in my shop....

As we see from the discussion, salespeople prefer to treat everything as
servers in your shop :-()

Hope I am not the only one on this list having the formal definition.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
09.10.2003 18:15