ADSM-L

Re: Backup definition

2003-10-10 20:56:43
Subject: Re: Backup definition
From: Steven Pemberton <stevep AT IBK.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 10:52:30 +1000
On Saturday 11 October 2003 04:15, Helen Tam wrote:
> Hello,
>     I'm not clear on creating 2 nodes or 2 client accounts.  Is this for
> the same machine?  How do you define this?  I have a similar situation.  I
> need to backup all files daily and a certain database only on
> weekend.   Please advise.                Thanks, Helen Tam

The "dual node" trick is only necessary when you want to retain *backups* of
*the same* data for differing periods.

Normally this is a problem because the obvious (incorrect) solution, of simply
changing management classes for the "special" backup, will cause the entire
history of backup data to rebind to whichever management class is used last,
and rebind back to the "normal" management class on the next "normal" backup.

It doesn't sound appropriate in your example. Why not just use a daily
incremental backup for all files, and exclude the database files. Then use a
separate "archive" schedule, which ignores the backup exclusion, to archive
the database files on the weekend.

Of course, then you will need to coordinate the shutdown of your database with
the archive command, to ensure the database is in a consistent state for
archival (Do not try to do this with "open file" support). Consider running
the "archive" schedule as a command script. The script could then stop,
archive, and restart, the database.

And if you're using a TDP for your database backups, that's a different
story...

Regards,
Steven P.

--
Steven Pemberton
Senior Enterprise Management Consultant

Mobile: +61/0 418 335 136 | Phone: +61/3 9820 5811 | Fax: +61/3 9820 9907
Level 1, 11 Queens Road, Melbourne, Victoria, 3004, Australia
http://www.senetas.com.au | http://www.ibk.com.au | http://www.datum.com.au