ADSM-L

Re: move data oddness

2003-10-03 13:51:03
Subject: Re: move data oddness
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 13:49:22 -0400
>To free up a lot of filling tapes I used move data. Strange thing is that
>move data sometimes starts writing to another filling tape (as you would
>expect) but then, _before the target tape is full_ starts writing to a fresh
>scratch volume. I'd only expect move data to request a scratch volume when
>the filling tape it is writing to is full. What could be happening? I know
>move data reconstructs files that have been split (the first file on a tape
>if any on that tape for a filling volume), so it cannot be that it has to do
>with limitations on split files.

The common cause of going on to a new volume when the most recently written one
shows Filling is that the file (aggregate) is spanning onto the next volume:
TSM will not deign the prior volume Full until the glob is completed on the
next volume.  Reassemblage of spanning files from the copy-from volume does
not preclude spanning on the new volumes.  If the just-completed volume does not
subsequently show a Full status, then that is an issue unto itself.

  Richard Sims, BU