ADSM-L

TSM Journaling - Any Performance Degradation?

2003-09-30 06:20:35
Subject: TSM Journaling - Any Performance Degradation?
From: David McClelland <David.McClelland AT REUTERS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 11:14:21 +0100
Hi list,

Understandably, one of our customers is concerned about the impact of
enabling TSM journaling on his customer-facing performance-critical
production file-server - he asks:

>> Do you know if there is any risk of performance degradation (i.e.
slower read/write of files)
>> resulting from the interaction between the journaling daemon and the
Win32 API?

Does anyone have any comments, experiences or statistics that I can get
back to him with on this? I can understand that there might be a
performance hit, what with the extra file I/O and writes to the journal
file, but is this significant or quantifiable, and should he be
concerned?

Many thanks,

David McClelland
Management Systems Integrator
Global Management Systems
Reuters
85 Fleet Street
London EC4P 4AJ

E-mail  david.mcclelland AT reuters DOT com
Reuters Messaging       david.mcclelland.reuters.com AT reuters DOT net

the views of Reuters Ltd.