ADSM-L

Re: Windows client error

2003-09-28 18:05:21
Subject: Re: Windows client error
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:04:50 -0400
>Client is 5.1.5-15, talking to server level 4.1.4.2
>
>I'm seeing the following error in the dsmerror.log on, naturally, our
>Executive Director's workstation.
>
>09/24/2003 22:29:53 Assertion failed. Addr 00A49A30, File sysfiles.cpp,
>Line 552
>
>On the workstation a popup appears with the following application error:
>The instruction at "hex addr" referenced memory at "hex addr". The
>memory cannot be 'read'.
>
>>From the sched log is appears that the backup has finished traversing
>the file systems but hits this error before a successful completion.

Jim - You'll have to run a client trace, probably per the instructions of
      TSM Support, to definitively narrow this down.
My sense of it is that the client C++ module "sysfiles" - seemingly involved
in the backup of System Files - has performed an assert() to cautiously
determine if it can access something, and it finds that it can't.

As in all cases like this, getting perspective on the workstation will help
narrow the problem - particularly, when did it start happening, possibly after
something was changed on the workstation?  (Is the client now running under the
right account?)  Having worked in a corporation, I know that executive
workstations are often heavily secured; and the person administering it for the
executive typically changes as little as possible.  This can mean that the
workstation is running a very restrictive - and possibly too old - anti-virus
package such as Norton Anti Virus (NAV).  If this pertains, then it is likely
that your TSM client level is much newer than the virus software, and there is a
conflict.  I would see what else is running on that workstation, and see if it
has left any interesting log entries.  It might also be the case that the
executive is a tinkerer who has made certain adjustments on the workstation.

  Meager information, but hope it may help,     Richard Sims, BU