ADSM-L

Re: Collocation Vs Multiple Storage Pools

2003-09-26 16:37:48
Subject: Re: Collocation Vs Multiple Storage Pools
From: Koen Willems <koen_willems AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:37:26 +0000
Ray,

Depents of the amount and type of data each node stores in TSM, the number
of tape drives and the tapetechnologie used.

If you backup databases you can dump this data in one storagepool.

THhis keeps admin sched down.. and tapeutillasation up with out
significantly decreasing restore speed.

If you are backing up large filesystems with few drives you want
collocation.

This to minimise tape mounts..

If you are backing up large filesystems with a lot of drives you dont wand
collocation becaus you want as much tapemounts as possible.

Large file system restores from LTO are very slow, large filesystems on
magstar are faster...

Do your self a favour and check restore speeds of largefilesystems after a
couple mounts when reclamation and incrementals have scatterd al file system
data over the tapes......of if collocation works..

Succes,

Koen.