ADSM-L

Re: Very long Netware restore

2003-09-23 18:29:31
Subject: Re: Very long Netware restore
From: Paul Ripke <stix AT STIX.HOMEUNIX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:26:44 +1000
On Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003, at 07:43 Australia/Sydney, Kamp, Bruce
wrote:

I don't the exactly what MTU means....  Basicly it is the packet size.
 We
found this out after my network guys ran Sniffer on our network.  The
difference in restore tmes was 2-3 days to about 10-12 hours!  Your
network
people should be able to give a better definition!  I colocated my
tapepool
after my first big reatore.

MTU = Maximum Transmission Unit. Yes, basically it is the packet size
on the wire. For normal ethernet, it has to be 1500 bytes. There is a
concept known as "jumbo frames" that is supported on some gig-e
infrastructure where this can be increased; not sure about 100 Mbit
ethernet though.

Instead, I'd be looking at the TCP window size. Our clients (no Netware)
vary between 16 KB and 1.5 MB, depending on OS, age, backup types, etc.

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke
Unix/OpenVMS/TSM/DBA