ADSM-L

Very long Netware restore

2003-09-23 14:08:43
Subject: Very long Netware restore
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:07:02 -0400
We recently did a full restore of a Netware server.  Basically, we're
interested if the restore time sounds reasonable - it doesn't to us.

The server that was restored is actually at a remote site from the
TSM server location, but the restore was done at the TSM site, then,
driven to the remote site for installation.

The restore specs read like this:

  Compression:  Files compressed using TSM client compression
  Size: 240gb
  Files: 938,617
  Restore Time:  50 hours
  Throughput:  around 1.3mb/s average speed (240gb/50hr)
  Network:  100MB/fdx, local to TSM server
    (admins checked for duplex mismatch)
  Tape Drives:  IBM 3590
  Netware Server
    Version:  NW5.1 SP3
    Dell 2650
       1 - 2ghz xeon processor
       2gb memory
       513mb cache on processor

This just doesn't sound right.  After this was all done, we created a
backupset to see
just how fast TSM could access the servers files.

  Backupset Creation Time:  11 hours
  From Tape Drive:  IBM 3590
  To Tape Drive:  IBM 3590

So . . . . the bottleneck doesn't appear to be the TSM server.

Any thoughts as to why our restore took 50 hours???  The obvious answer is
that the files had to be uncompressed on the client, but I would have
thought
a 2ghz processor would be able to uncompress much more than a 1.3mb/s data
stream.

Thanks

Rick

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and
confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the
document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying
in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.