ADSM-L

Re: Saving data on a defective cartridge

2003-09-22 10:56:31
Subject: Re: Saving data on a defective cartridge
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 09:55:20 -0500
Joseph,

We have a fairly large, simple system.  About 7 TB online out of 23 TB
total from 120 active nodes.  Includes almost 4 TB of Domino data.

We have been sending copy tapes offsite for about four years now.  Its
biggest benefit so far has been the recovery of 180,000 files from our main
file servers that were on two LTO tapes that got eaten by our 3583.

Like most users, our copypool tapes are not collocated, so my tape library
had to read about 55 tapes to restore the two LTOs.  Each restore took
about two days.  But so what?  How long would it have taken to recreate
180,000 files, some several years old?  As our TSM primary administrator,
the loss of 180,000 user-created data files borders on incompetence.

Tape libraries are not that expensive.   We are a $180 million company.  We
have four tape libraries, with four drives each.  We also have a two-drive
library as an installed spare to the library that hosts our copypool.  We
send everything offsite on DLT 8000 media.  Our two-drive, twenty-six slot
SCSI DLT library cost all of $15,000 (HPaq brand).  Other brands offer
comparable libraries for about $10K.  Media is about $60 / tape.  Our DLT
8000 drives consistently write TSM data at 8-12 MB/s each.  Such a library
should be adequate unless your daily new data is in the TB range.

Companies have gone out of business because of lost data.  Is the saving of
$10-20K so important that your management is willing to literally "bet the
company" on it?

Thanks, and good luck.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram, LLC

|         |           "Wholey, Joseph  |
|         |           (IDS DM&DS)"     |
|         |           <joseph_wholey@ML|
|         |           .COM>            |
|         |           Sent by: "ADSM:  |
|         |           Dist Stor        |
|         |           Manager"         |
|         |           <[email protected]|
|         |           .EDU>            |
|         |           09/18/2003 12:05 |
|         |           "ADSM: Dist Stor |
|         |           Manager"         |

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                         |
  |       cc:
                                  |
  |       Subject:  Re: Saving data on a defective cartridge

A "little" off the subject, and I already heard Richard Simms view on not
having a second copy...  but what are most shops doing with respect to a
second copy.
I'm in a pretty large shop and upper management, in a cost savings effort,
wants us to turn off the creation of a second tape copy.  I'm not too
comfortable with the idea.  What are "your" thoughts?