ADSM-L

TSM and DR

2003-09-19 15:24:14
Subject: TSM and DR
From: Gerald Wichmann <gwichman AT ZANTAZ DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:19:16 -0700
Say for a moment you're faced with recovering a TSM server in a DR
situation. You have your DB backup and copypool tapes and perform a database
recovery. If that DB was created back in January and it's now March, isn't
there a potential for objects getting expired the first time you start the
TSM server? E.g. when the TSM server is started it typically performs an
expire inventory as part of that sequence. I would imagine that now that
it's 2 months later, would it therefore start expiring objects that you
probably don't want to have expired?

If not, why not?
If so, whats the appropriate step to take before starting the TSM server (or
perhaps even before recovering the DB) to ensure expire inventory doesn't
ruin your recovery? I recall there being an option in dsmserv.opt that
allows you to turn off automatic expire inventory. That seems like a good
idea.. but what if there was an admin schedule that runs expire inventory
back then and you happen to start the recovery while in the schedule's
window?

I think you can see what I'm getting at with all this. I want to make sure
all my bases are covered..

This e-mail has been captured and archived by the ZANTAZ Digital Safe(tm)
service.  For more information, visit us at www.zantaz.com.
IMPORTANT: This electronic mail message is intended only for the use of the
that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable
law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by
telephone or directly reply to the original message(s) sent.  Thank you.