ADSM-L

Re: Tape Verification

2003-09-19 14:00:53
Subject: Re: Tape Verification
From: Tom Kauffman <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 11:00:47 -0500
I've only got a few tapes that fall into the 'permanent' offsite category --
commonstore archives of SAP extracts being kept seven years for legal
reasons. Everything else is backups (continuous reclaim) or 21-day archives
(some reclaim before the time is up, others sit off-site for 21 days and
come back empty).

For the commonstore archives, I do the occasional audit volume fix=no for
the *on-site* copy and then do reclaim or move data for the off-site volume.
If I have a problem with the local version, I'll bring in the off-site copy
and rebuild the local tape (but I haven't hit that yet). My intent is to
never bring back an off-site tape with data on it unless I need it to
rebuild a local tape.

Can't help you on backupsets -- I have yet to figure out a meaningful use
for them here.

But, in line with your question -- what can I do to verify that my TSM
database backup tape is readable/useable BEFORE it comes out of the library
to go off-site? This is, to my thinking, the single biggest hole in the
entire TSM functionality; I want to be able to validate that backup OR write
multiple concurrent identical backups WITHIN TSM.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc