ADSM-L

Re: Saving data on a defective cartridge

2003-09-18 19:53:12
Subject: Re: Saving data on a defective cartridge
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:52:20 +1000
Don't you hate it when management thinks that *any* cost is too much?

How about figuring out what a GFS system would cost in tapes to back up the
same as you do now.
Say you have a 90 day retention, that would cost say 10 daily copies + 3 weekly
ones + 4 monthies or 17 full copies of the active data

You should  find that TSM is more economical with two copies than GFS is with
one.

Point this out to the Pointy Haired manager.

If that doesn't work, then point out how backups to /dev/null run so much
faster and use even less tape :)

Regards

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> joseph_wholey AT ML DOT COM 19/09/2003 3:05:06 >>>
A "little" off the subject, and I already heard Richard Simms view on not
having a second copy...  but what are most shops doing with respect to a second
copy.
I'm in a pretty large shop and upper management, in a cost savings effort,
wants us to turn off the creation of a second tape copy.  I'm not too
comfortable with the idea.  What are "your" thoughts?