ADSM-L

Re: WIN2K client only using 1 CPU for scanning.

2003-09-18 17:02:38
Subject: Re: WIN2K client only using 1 CPU for scanning.
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:02:17 -0600
> TSM client is having one producer-collector pair of
> thread for each filesystem/filespace. If for example
> resourceutilization=6 but there is only one filesystem,
> the client will start one pair and two sessions.

This is not entirely true; a producer thread can feed more than consumer
thread, and in fact, even if you are backing up only one file system, you
can have multiple consumer threads. For example, if the current consumer
thread is busy with a very large file, then another consumer thread could
be spawned to back up other files. I have only one drive on my laptop
computer, but with RESOURCEUTILIZATION cranked up to 10, I gotten upwards
of 5 or 6 consumer sessions running concurrently.

Regarding threading in a multiprocessor environment, consider the issue
noted.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
09/18/2003 11:18