ADSM-L

TSM 5.2 and BreeceHill Q 9.140 w/DLT

2003-09-17 11:29:30
Subject: TSM 5.2 and BreeceHill Q 9.140 w/DLT
From: John Schneider <jdschn AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:29:13 -0500
Greetings,
   I just recently upgraded from an older NT-based TSM server from 4.2
to a new Win2K server running TSM 5.2.0.1.  It has three BreeceHill DLT
tape libraries, a Q215, a Q6.210, and a Q9.140.  I configured TSM to use
it's own drivers, naturally.  The  Q215 and Q6.10  libraries are working
flawlessly, but the Q9.140 is giving us fits.  About once every day or
two it gets a library error that causes us to have to restart TSM to get
it back.  Also, frequently TSM fails to initialize one or more of the
tape drives, causing the drive to come up online.  We can put it back
online, but as soon as TSM goes to use it, it gets an error and bails
again.  Sometimes shutting down the TSM server, and power-cycling the
library gets everything back for a awhile.
   Another strange symptom is that in the library inventory window on
the front of the BreeceHill, it shows tape cartridges mounted in the
DLTs when they aren't.  We think they got this way when we shut down and
power-cycled the library one time when there were cartidges mounted we
couldn't get TSM to unmount because of the library errors.
   The Q9.140 is running firmware version 3.00, as is the Q6.210 which
is working fine.  All three tape drives in the Q9.140 are running DLT
firmware 105, the latest version I am aware of.
   We have tried swapping cables, adapters, etc. everything else in the
chain except the library itself.
Does any kind soul have an insight into the what may be going wrong?  I
would like to blame the library as a hardware problem, but the problem
didn't exist before under the old version of TSM, so there must be some
relationship to that.

Thanks in advance,

John Schneider