ADSM-L

BMR of an Active Directory server

2003-09-16 11:32:47
Subject: BMR of an Active Directory server
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:32:23 -0400
Yesterday we spent 18-hours of our Disaster Recovery test trying to restore
one of our Windows2000 Active Directory servers. The original server is a
Compaq and we were trying to restore it to a Dell PowerEdge server. Our
process was:

- Install Win2k and the same service pack (SP3) as back home
- Install TSM client (actually higher level than we have as home)
- Save the following files: BOOT.INI, HAL.DLL, NTOSKRNL.EXE
- Restore all the drives (C:, D:, E:)
- Restore the System Object
- Copy the 3 above files back to where they belong
- Reboot

Upon reboot, the server comes up, but Active Directory gives us an error:

LSASS.EXE A transaction recovery failed. Error status 0xc0000227. and the
server reboots. When we rebooted back into directory repair mode, all the
"new" hardware was found (again!), but everytime we rebooted we got the same
error. Only way we could get the server up was in directory repair mode
(F8).

Looking the error up on Microsft said that it was a problem with the log
files. So, booting into directory repair mode we ran
NTDSUTIL....FILES....INFO and it said that the log files were on E: and when
we looked they were there. So I tried INTEGRITY and it fails with a jet
database error DBInitializeJetDatabase error of -528. No way...no how could
we get the directory services to REPAIR, or come up.

Has anyone gotten a BMR to work on a Windows2000 Active Directory server??
Maybe it was something we didn't restore...or should not have
restored....????

Bill Boyer
"Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield." - ??