ADSM-L

Re: Excluding files during restore

2003-09-12 13:14:42
Subject: Re: Excluding files during restore
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 20:12:53 +0300
In one of the new versions of the client a new option in the
dsm.sys/dsm.opt silently slipped - Exclude.Restore. It is not documented
at all, you cannot find it neither in the client manual nor in the `dsmc
help`!!!
But if you start the GUI client, select from the menu Edit -> Preferences,
choose Include-Exclude tab and select Category=Restore, .... you can
specify which files you want *not* to be restored. They will be skipped on
restore same as ordinary Exclude prevents during incremental backup. Even
if you choose only that excluded file, you will not get it restored -
there is force backup using `dsmc selective` but there is no "selective
restore".
You can use compete exclude patterns:
Exclude.Restore "C:\my garbage\...\*"
Exclude.Restore /home/user/unwanted/*log

BTW: Andy, I think the option is useful (one of our customers liked it
very much) but needs to be documented. I've missed it till few days ago as
I am using the GUI client only when I teach a class (and teaching I've
learned about the option :-)))

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"Fernando Figueiredo (EDS)" <fernando.figueiredo AT GALPENERGIA DOT COM>
10.09.2003 20:21