ADSM-L

ANR8447E, no drives available in Library

2003-09-08 11:34:56
Subject: ANR8447E, no drives available in Library
From: Gerhard Rentschler <g.rentschler AT RUS.UNI-STUTTGART DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 17:34:37 +0200
Hello,
recently there were a few postings to this list concerning the message
ANR8447E, which means that no drives are available in the library. Today, I
got the problem too.

The environment: TSM server 5.1.6.2 on AIX 4.3.3. The library ist a STK
Powderhorn with 2 LSMs. ACSLS is 5.1.1, the drives are 16 3590E , of which 8
are used for TSM. Mountlimit for the 3590 devclass is set to drives.

The problem started with one drive which could not be unloaded. The LSM
reinitialized, the drive was set offline by TSM.
This morning I observed message ANR8447E which caused a restore session to
be cancelled. This was despite the fact that there were enough drives
available to satisfy the request for the restore.

Could somebody tell me where the server checks for available drives? Could
the problem be caused by a label libvol which was running ( even if I gave
label libv 2 drives there were enough free drives)? Is there a problem with
mountlimit=drives if there are offline drives?

Best regards
Gerhard

---
Gerhard Rentschler            email:g.rentschler AT rus.uni-stuttgart DOT de
Regional Computing Center     tel.   ++49/711/685 5806
University of Stuttgart       fax:   ++49/711/682357
Allmandring 30a
D 70550
Stuttgart
Germany