ADSM-L

Re: How to check if TSM is using hw compression?

2003-09-08 09:18:41
Subject: Re: How to check if TSM is using hw compression?
From: Lisa Laughlin <laughl AT MODOT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 08:31:57 -0500
Richard-

I always thought that hardware compression was turned on at the
drive-level, and that all you should do in TSM was use the FORMAT=DRIVE as
the setting in TSM.

Are you saying that I'd be better served by setting FORMAT=3590H-C???

thanks,
lisa

             Richard Sims
             <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            To
             Dist Stor                 ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Manager"                                                   cc
             <[email protected]
             .EDU>                                                 Subject
                                       Re: How to check if TSM is using hw
                                       compression?
             09/08/2003 06:35
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

>>Using TSM 5.1.6.2 on Solaris 8 with a Sun L20 Tape Library (using
>>DLT8000 drives) how can I check if TSM uses the hardware compression of
the
>>drives?

>TSM doesn't use hardware compression. Whether or not a tape drive uses
>compression is a parameter set at the operating system level.

TSM certainly sets the drive attributes to effect hardware compression.
The 'C' at the end of the DEVclass FORMAT spec incites the server to
set that drive attribute.  In AIX, the drive attributes currently in effect
can be listed via 'lsattr -EHl rmt1'.  Solaris must have something similar,
but that's beyond my experience.

  Richard Sims, BU