ADSM-L

how much of the DB does a node use?

2003-09-05 09:26:09
Subject: how much of the DB does a node use?
From: "MC Matt Cooper (2838)" <Matt.Cooper AT AMGREETINGS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:27:18 -0400
Hello all,
        I am trying to group the 200 server + 300 PC nodes that I backup
into meaningful groups so I can seperate my TSM server into 3 TSM servers.
I am currently running TSM 5.1.5.4 on a z/OS 1.1 system.  I have to keep all
processing off of 1st shift and am thinking I can increase my speed by using
more processors and cutting down on the internal TSM conflicts (making
offsite copy while doing backups or expiration and migration together , etc)
by splitting my TSM server into 3 TSM servers.   I have enough excess
processor during off hours and management is willing to give me more disk
and tape drives (within reason) to make this work.   I can easily break off
the PCs and all Development clients into a TSM instance.  They can be backed
up late on 3rd shift and use the available tape drives on early 2nd shift.
The SLA for that group allows the offsite copy to be a day late.   But when
I get to the group of true servers that TSM backs up I want to know the
impact on the TSM DB size for my decisions as which nodes go to which TSM
server.   My server clients are pretty diverse from hug DB2 data bases that
look like half a dozen 30GB files (little TSM DB impact) to Window servers
with millions of files (high TSM DB impact).
        So the question is,  How can I find out how much of the TSM DB does
each of my client nodes use?
THanks in advance
Matt