ADSM-L

Re: Configuration question

2003-09-05 08:34:35
Subject: Re: Configuration question
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:32:25 +0300
--> ... one drive on each SCSI card.

Both Ultra2 (FC 6205) and Ultra3 (FC 6203) SCSI adapter are dual channel
so you ought to be able to have at least two drives (one on each bus) per
adapter.

Some math:
IBM Ultrium 2 drive - up to 35 MB/s native
3 fibre drives per 2 Gb FC HBA - 200 / 3 = 66 MB/s   ==> even with 2:1
compression ratio you can be easily bottlenecked
2 drives per Ultra3 SCSI bus (if you have FC 6203) - 160 / 2 = 80 MB/s
(over 20% better)
2 drives per FC HBA - ~100 GB/s   (leaves some room to achieve better
compression, for example on Oracle/SAP databases)

--> But I've already got the SCSI cards installed

Do some more math. What would be "cheaper" - replacement of SCSI with FC
or your server/library decreased productivity?

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Tom Kauffman <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
03.09.2003 18:51