ADSM-L

Configuration question

2003-09-03 11:52:13
Subject: Configuration question
From: Tom Kauffman <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:51:53 -0500
It's that wonderful time of year -- budget time!

I currently have an IBM 3584 with 10 LTO-1 tape drives and two bays. The
drives are all SCSI attached. The lease will be up around August 31 next
year.

I'm planning on replacing the LTO-1 drives with LTO-2 drives. Right now, I'm
thinking of doing 6 drives as fiber-attach and 4 as SCSI. First, my TSM host
really has room for just two (more) fiber adapters (660-6M1 with 3 I/O
drawers, with each adapter on a seperate PCI bus). Second, I have my SAP DB
server configured so I can manually move TSM to it if my TSM server is down
for a significant length of time -- and there's no room for more fiber
adapters. But I've already got the SCSI cards installed (and the lease for
these systems has 24 months to go).

Does this make sense? I'd end up with 3 drives on each fiber and one drive
on each SCSI card.

We don't do SAN backups and I don't see SAN backups in the near future (and
if I did, the maximum drive count would be 5 as our clients are currently
configured).

TIA

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail and any attachments are for the exclusive
and confidential use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not read, distribute or take action in reliance upon this
message. If you have received this in error, please notify us immediately by
return e-mail and promptly delete this message and its attachments from your
computer system. We do not waive attorney-client or work product privilege by
the transmission of this message.