ADSM-L

Re: IBM is not eating their own dog food

2003-08-27 09:14:19
Subject: Re: IBM is not eating their own dog food
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:55:43 +0300
Mark,

I really do not know how to interpret your comment. Does it mean we
shouldn't complain and must be happy with current IBM junk on the site
just because their major competitors are worse??? In our rapidly changing
world, this may quickly approve a new leader coming from nowhere.

One TSM selling mantra is saying that NetBackup is still leading but TSM
growth is better and TSM is eating NetBackup's market share. What if IBM
becomes in that same situation - to lose market because they lost the
connection to the reality!! It will hit them where it really hurts - the
big bucks. A TSM entusiast will make his way out of IBM site's jungle but
an ordinary admin at a company will have no time to waste. Recently I have
done what a *prospective* customer would do - check for TSM supported
devices without using password. It was a real nightmare - I've spent half
hour digging to find a way through the links and hit about ten times the
lock and login.

The site is having bad ergonomics, it is slow, overloaded, ugly, stinks,
etc. I can find too many ways to express my frustration.
In short-term I can benefit from the situation, providing paid support to
our customers for nearly everything. But in long-term the customers will
rush away and both we and IBM will lose.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
27.08.2003 07:05