ADSM-L

Re: Wildcard limitations in filespec?

2003-08-25 16:32:05
Subject: Re: Wildcard limitations in filespec?
From: Debi Randolph <Debra.Randolph AT FBOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 13:37:27 -0500
Ted,

> /u01/app/oracle/admin/*/arch/

It looks like you want to get any directory at that level, I use a \...\ to
do it in Windows.

Example:

Exclude *:\...\Profiles\...\ntuser.dat*

Not sure if this converts to your OS.

Deb Randolph

                      Andrew Raibeck
                      <storman AT US DOT IBM.C        To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      OM>                      cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: Wildcard
limitations in filespec?
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      08/25/2003 01:16
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

It is true that wildcard characters are limited to file names only. From
the client manual in the reference for the INCREMENTAL command:

Using wildcard characters

In a command, you can use wildcard characters in the file name or file
extension only. You cannot use them to specify destination files, drives,
or directories. Use wildcard characters when you want to specify multiple
files with similar names in one command. Without wildcard characters, you
must repeat the command for each file. Valid wildcard characters that you
can use include:

So you would need to specify the fully-qualified directory.

If you are running the command from the OS command line interface (or via
a script), you might be able to use an environment variable to work around
this restriction. I'm not sure how it would work on Unix, but on Windows,
I could do something like this:

set myenv=andy1
dsmc i c:\u01\app\oracle\admin\%myenv%\arch\ -su=y

The Windows command processor will substitute "andy1" for the "myenv"
environment variable, so that the TSM client sees the directory as
c:\u01\app\oracle\admin\andy1\arch\

Note that this does not work when running in loop (interactive) mode.

Not sure if that helps, but I figured it was worth a shot...

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Ted Byrne <tbyrne AT DSSCORP DOT COM>
08/25/2003 10:25

        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        cc:
        Subject:        Wildcard limitations in filespec?

Greetings,

We'd like to run an incremental backup of a group of directories.  The
exact directory names vary from server to server, but they all follow the
form
        /u01/app/oracle/admin/*/arch/

where the "*" is the name of an Oracle instance.

When we run an incremental using the filespec as shown,  the backup does
not pick up any files, even when we create a new file or touch an existing
file in one of those directories.  We've tried this with and without
quotes
around the filespec.

Is there a limitation on the filespec used so that wildcards in the middle
of the string do not get processed?  These are Solaris 9 clients using
client version 5.1.6.2 or 5.2.0.0

Thanks in advance,

Ted

*******************    N O T I C E    *******************
The information contained in this e-mail, and in any accompanying
documents, may constitute confidential and/or legally privileged
information.  The information is intended only for use by the
designated recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient (or
responsible for the delivery of the message to the intended
recipient), you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying, or other use of, or taking of any action in
reliance on this e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this e-mail communication in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the message from your system.