ADSM-L

Re: Bytes Sent much more than Bytes Recvd

2003-08-22 10:23:14
Subject: Re: Bytes Sent much more than Bytes Recvd
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 08:16:34 -0600
"Bytes  Sent" is the amount of data the TSM server sends to the client.
"Bytes Recvd" is the amount of data the client sends to the server.

During a regular incremental backup, the client needs information about
the active inventory for that client that is stored on the TSM server
(i.e. what files are currently backed up, and what their attributes were
at the time they were backed up). The client asks the server for this
information, and the server sends the information to the client. For a
client with a large number of files, this inventory may be quite large.
Thus the large number of "Bytes Sent".

The client uses this information while scanning the client file systems to
determine which files need to be backed up. If relatively few files need
to be backed up, then you will have a relatively small number of "Bytes
Recvd".

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

brian welsh <brianwelsh3 AT hotmail DOT com>
08/22/2003 07:03