ADSM-L

Re: Can TSM server on z/OS talk to SANs?

2003-08-21 12:53:43
Subject: Re: Can TSM server on z/OS talk to SANs?
From: "MC Matt Cooper (2838)" <Matt.Cooper AT AMGREETINGS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 12:54:52 -0400
TSM server on z/OS doing LANFREE backups is a part of the 5.2 announcement.
We are looking at it also.   I don't know if it fits types of backups.   I
would think that the backup direct to tape over a SAN could be much faster
than say a backup over a GB Ethenet network to disk.  HOWEVER, If the backup
over the network is nearing the capacity of the network, client, server, or
the disk, I wonder how much faster the backup will be.  I truely would like
to know.  We have a large DB2 data warehouse that takes too long to backup,
(and is growing).  But I don't see it stressing any of the above listed
components.  We are having the client compress it (and it is getting better
than 3:1).  So it makes me wonder if going the LAN FREE route will buy us
anything.
        Does anyone have an experienced opinion on this?
Matt

TSM 5.1  announcement   http://www.ibmlink.ibm.com/usalets&parms=H_203-095