ADSM-L

Re: TSM on Intel

2003-08-20 18:06:34
Subject: Re: TSM on Intel
From: Mitch Sako <msako AT CADENCE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 15:06:02 -0700
On Linux, ext2 is the fastest filesystem available.  You overcome the long fsck
problem by limiting the number of inodes on the filesystem.  With very large
filesystems this can number into the tens of millions.  If you use the -N
option when you create the filesystem (using mke2fs) and only use the number of
inodes you will need, the fsck runs amazingly fast.  I've created some 800GB
filesystems with under 1000 inodes and the fsck runs in seconds (assuming
you're using this for large TSM data files).  A journaling filesystem would not
be a good choice anyway for large TSM data that's getting a huge number of
writes to it.

Mitch