ADSM-L

Re: incremental blocked by inclexcl file

2003-08-20 06:47:02
Subject: Re: incremental blocked by inclexcl file
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:56:02 +0200
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:48:38 -0600
Richard Anderson <rna AT FRONTIERNET DOT NET> wrote:

> I am using TSM  Client Version 4, Release 2, Level 1.0 on an AIX system.
> I have a directory (/s/sirsi/Unicorn) that contains 60 GB of data files,
> the largest of which are frequently updated.  The application that updates
> these files must be kept running with very little down time.
>
> We have nightly incremental backups running via the scheduler.  They
> usually start at about 22:00, but the actual start time varies, depending
> on what other backups the server is performing.  In order to prevent
> /s/sirsi/Unicorn from being backed up while the application is live, we
> exclude the directory and its children in the inclexcl file.
>
> I would like to write a script to be run from crontab that shuts down the
> application, does an incremental backup, and then restarts the
> application.  However, I find that because the directory is excluded in
> the inclexcl file, the incremental job of course fails to backup anything.
>
> So... Is there any way to override the inclexcl file temporarily while
> manually doing an incremental command?  I can find no command line option
> that would help.  And my attempts to create a custom user dsm.opt file
> pointing to a different inclexcl file only resulted in an error:
> ANS1036S Invalid option 'INCLEXCL' found in options file
> '/s/sirsi/dsm.opt'
>
> Any suggestions would be welcome.  Thank you.
>
> Richard Anderson
> Stanford University Libraries

What seems logical to do is have a preschedcmd to stop your application and
a postschedcmd that starts it, and not exclude the files from backup. In
this way, you do have relyable backups of your data.

Alternatively, you could run the daily backups with an alternate dsm.sys
file, while normal operation uses a dsm.sys that does exclude these files.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams