ADSM-L

Re: TSM MF to AIX sizing?

2003-08-19 19:41:05
Subject: Re: TSM MF to AIX sizing?
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 09:40:01 +1000
Matt

I did a sizing exercise a year or so back and figured that it takes about 1GHz
of CPU power to run a Gig Ethernet card flat out, ie 1 CPU of current
generations.

Thus 2 CPUs should be enough if your throughput requirement will fit on a
single GigE adapter.
But, with the pricing the way it is, I'd be inclined to buy a 4 way box that is
partitionable.  In one partition run your test TSM server with 1 cpu and in the
other run production TSM with the rest.  That should give you acceptable
performance, growing space and a test environment.

HTH

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> Matt.Cooper AT AMGREETINGS DOT COM 20/08/2003 3:12:06 >>>
Hello all,
        WE are currently running TSM 515 on z/OS 1.1 (9672-x57 gen 6) and
are considering moving it to AIX to free up CPU cycles that are being used
during 1st shift.   As we consider that versus doing thing to make it run
better on 2nd and 3rd (use 2 TSM servers, FICON to TAPE instead of ESCON,
LAN FREE for a few big Servers) I need to know the characteristics of the
AIX box to move to.  We are backing up about 15TB a month now.  I don't know
if we should be looking for a 2CPU machine or a 4CPU machine or if money is
best spent on 2 of the fastest CPUs versus 4 old CPU's.  It is hard to point
in a directions without knowing what the replacement system would be and
therefore its costs.  (yes I know that there is still 4GB of memeory, 2 GB
adapters, etc to cost out).   Is there anyone that can give my the voice of
experience or point me in the proper direction to correctly work this
problem though?
Thanks in Advance
Matt

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipients(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipients(s), or if you have received this e-mail
in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by
return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail message and destroy any hard
copies produced.