ADSM-L

Re: Unix & TSM

2003-08-19 14:31:17
Subject: Re: Unix & TSM
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:30:55 -0400
Yes, we have two 3494 tape libraries attached to a single AIX server
that serves as our TSM server.
One library has 4 drives and is across the street and holds primary
storage pool data.
The 2nd library has 2 drives and is local and holds the copy pool.

We have two fibre cards in the server to take in the 6 drives via
switches.

>>> James.Dabney AT IRS DOT GOV 08/19/03 01:15PM >>>
I was asked today by management if a Unix box (TSM Server) can have
more
than one tape library attached to it and successfully perform a backup?
did not know what to say as I am running Versions 5.1 & 5.2 on
multiple
Windows platforms.

Can a TSM server backup to more than one tape library physically
attached to
the server? I am under the impression that you could share ONE library
not
multiple (physical SCSI) libraries.

I am not a Unix person, so if anyone could shed some light I would
appreciate it.....

James Dabney
IBM / IRS
Desk:512.460.8369