ADSM-L

Re: to much data, to small a library

2003-08-17 06:16:11
Subject: Re: to much data, to small a library
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 06:15:51 -0400
>Our use of TSM has grown.  This is a good thing.
>But it starts looking like we have almost outgrown our library.
>
>Where can I find some sizing information or ways to estimate
>a proper library size given a particular amount of data?
>
>Currently TSM 4.2.3.1 on Win2K, IBM 3583-L18 expanded
>to 70 slots and 6 drives.
>
>suggestions?  ... TIA ... Jack

Jack - It's relatively straightforward...
       Your various statistics (e.g., TSM accounting records) will tell you
how many files and MB are coming in per day/week/month, and you can see how
much data you can actually get onto each volume, and so extrapolate the
number of storage cells.  Some libraries allow simply adding frames to store
more cells.  With libraries of fixed size and relatively static data you can
eject dormant volumes and have the operators respond to mount requests -
though this can be problematic.

In all this it's important to base computations upon the particular type of
data, given its typical compressibility characteristics, as it affects how
much of it you can expect to get on each volume and thus gauge library size
upon number of volumes for a given data complement.  And, of course, servers
are always at the mercy of changes in client behavior, so allow a good
margin.

  Richard Sims    http://people.bu.edu/rbs