ADSM-L

Restoring a backup from SQL Server A to SQL Server B

2003-08-15 07:42:59
Subject: Restoring a backup from SQL Server A to SQL Server B
From: Chris Leonard <christopher-leonard AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 18:18:58 -0500
Hello all,

I have two SQL Servers both running Windows 2000, and using TDP for SQL
(version 5.1.5).  Let's call the servers Server A and Server B.  I have
backed up the Northwind database (just using Northwind as an example) on
Server A and need to restore it on Server B.  I have copied the dsm.opt file
from Server A to Server B and have named it dsm_A.opt, and am using the
option /TSMOptFile=dsm_A.opt.  No matter what I try to do, I get
authentication errors.  I have tried both PasswordAccess=Generate and
PasswordAccess=Prompt.  I have even gotten brave and renamed the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\IBM\ADSM\CurrentVersion\BackupClient\Nodes\SQL-S
erverA key in the registry so that the password would get stored again.

Now, I'm new to TDP (we are just transitioning to it), so I'm guessing there
may be something simple that I am missing here.  I already looked at
http://search.adsm.org for the string FromSQLServer, but didn't see anything
there to help me.  Can you help me out?

Here is a typical command I am trying to run (names have been changed to
protect the vulnerable ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H innocent):
tdpsqlc restore Northwind /FROMSQLServer=ServerA /SQLServer=ServerB
/MountWait=Yes /TSMOptFile=dsm_A.opt

Here is the contents of dsm_A.opt - again, names have been changed to
protect the innocent.  By the way, if anyone replies via email, I will send
you whatever original configuration files.  I just don't want to post them
where they will be accessible on the internet.

<snip>

*======================================================================*
*                                                                      *
* IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Databases                             *
*                                                                      *
* Data Protection for Microsoft SQL Server                             *
*                                                                      *
* Sample Options File                                                  *
*                                                                      *
*======================================================================*

NODename          SQL-SERVERA.ABC.MYSCHOOL.EDU
CLUSTERnode       NO

*PASSWORDAccess    Prompted
*PASSWORDAccess    Prompt
PASSWORDAccess    Generate

*======================================================================*
* TCP/IP Communication Options                                         *
*======================================================================*
COMMMethod        TCPip
TCPServeraddress  xyz.abc.myschool.edu
TCPPort           1500
TCPWindowsize     63
TCPBuffSize       32

*======================================================================*
* Named Pipes Communication Options                                    *
*======================================================================*
*COMMMethod       NAMEdpipe
*NAMedpipename      \\.\pipe\tsmpipe

*======================================================================*
* - Compression Options                                                *
*                                                                      *
*   Use the "COMPRESSION" option to compress the data before sending   *
*   it to the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager server. Use the               *
*   "COMPRESSALWAYS" option to specify whether to continue compressing *
*   the data if it grows during compression.                           *
*                                                                      *
*======================================================================*
COMPRESSIon       NO
*COMPRESSAlways    NO

*======================================================================*
*                                                                      *
* - Scheduling Options                                                 *
*                                                                      *
*   The default scheduling mode is the client polling method.          *
*   To use server prompted scheduling, you must be sure to use a tcp   *
*   client port different than the one used by the regular backup      *
*   client.                                                            *
*                                                                      *
*======================================================================*
SCHEDMODE             Polling
*SCHEDLOGRetention     14
*SCHEDMODE             Prompted
*TCPCLIENTADDRESS      yy.yy.yy.yy
*TCPCLIENTPORT         1502

*======================================================================*
* Include/Exclude Processing                                           *
*                                                                      *
* For a more complete description of include/exclude processing see    *
* the Data Protection for Microsoft SQL Server Installation and        *
* User's Guide (Chapter 3 and Appendix B)                              *
*======================================================================*

*======================================================================*
* The following include statements assign all meta objects to          *
* management class SqlDbMetaMgmtClass and all data objects to          *
* SqlDbDataMgmtClass                                                   *
*======================================================================*
*INCLUDE "\...\meta\...\*"     SqlDbMetaMgmtClass
*INCLUDE "\...\data\...\*"     SqlDbDataMgmtClass

INCLUDE "\...\meta\...\*"     META-60
INCLUDE "\...\data\...\*"     DATA-60

*======================================================================*
* The following include statements assign all log meta objects to      *
* management class SqlLogMetaMgmtClass and all log data objects to     *
* SqlLogDataMgmtClass                                                  *
*======================================================================*
*INCLUDE "\...\meta\...\log*"  SqlLogMetaMgmtClass
*INCLUDE "\...\data\...\log*"  SqlLogDataMgmtClass

*======================================================================*
* The following exclude statements exclude all log backups for         *
* databases master and msdb                                            *
*======================================================================*
*EXCLUDE "\...\master\...\log*"
*EXCLUDE "\...\msdb\...\log*"

*======================================================================*
* The following exclude statement excludes the "db1" database          *
* from being compressed (if compression is enabled for backups.)       *
*EXCLUDE.COMPRESSION "\...\db1\...\*"

</snip>

Let me know if you need to see any other files.

Thanks a million,
Chris

Chris Leonard, University of Iowa ITS DBA
300 USB / 319-384-0801

Pound!  Bang!  Bin!  Bash!
Is this a shell script, or a Batman comic?