ADSM-L

Funny query business

2003-08-13 00:21:42
Subject: Funny query business
From: Mark Ferraretto <mark.ferraretto AT DB DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:21:32 +0800
All,

Seems that the order you specify tables in an SQL query is important.  I'm
running TSM 5.1.6.1 on AIX 5.1.  I wanted to query volhistory and backupset
tables:

tsm: SM040>select VOLUME_NAME, location, backupset_name from BACKUPSETS,
VOLHISTORY where BACKUPSETS.DATE_TIME = VOLHISTORY.DATE_TIME

VOLUME_NAME            LOCATION               BACKUPSET_NAME
------------------     ------------------     ------------------
A00249                                        HKGIICOREP1.20030-
                                               805.77813798

tsm: SM040>select VOLUME_NAME, location, backupset_name from volhistory,
backupsets where BACKUPSETS.DATE_TIME = VOLHISTORY.DATE_TIME
ANR2034E SELECT: No match found using this criteria.
ANS8001I Return code 11.

tsm: SM040>

The first result is the result I wanted.

Why is the order of tables important?  Is this documented somewhere?  I'm
concerned that I may not be getting correct data in other queries I run.

Mark

--
Mark Ferraretto
Unix Systems Administrator

notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized
forbidden.