ADSM-L

Upgrading 3590 Tape Drives???

2003-08-11 04:54:51
Subject: Upgrading 3590 Tape Drives???
From: Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:37:37 +0100
Hello all TSMers

Present setup as follows :-

TSM 4.2.2.12 running on Solaris 2.7, attached to one IBM 3494 Tape Library.
The library contains two 3590 B1A drives.

We are soon going to be upgrading our 3590 B1A drives to the H1A models so
that we can squeeze loads more on the tapes and free up slots in our
soon-to-be-filled library.

Now, as far as I am aware, this is a relatively simple operation. Am I
right in thinking that all that needs to be done after the drives have been
upgraded is to mark all tapes that are presently in the on-site Tapepool
(in the library) as read only. After this, only scratch tapes will be used
and I will be free to start running some movedata commands to start
consolidating tapes (using the new higher compression).

Am I right in thinking that the tape drives will automatically use the
highest compression available to the unless told otherwise?

Am I missing something here as it sounds all too simple?

And advice is very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Farren Minns - TSM and Solaris System Admin - John Wiley & Sons Ltd

This email transmission is confidential and intended for the person or
organisation it is addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient, you
must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information, open any
attachment, or take any action in reliance of it. If you have received this
message in error please notify the sender.

except where the sender specifically states otherwise.

Although this email has been scanned for viruses you should rely on your
own virus check, as the sender takes no responsibility for any damage
arising out of any bug or virus infection.