ADSM-L

Re: export/import client data

2003-08-08 08:24:27
Subject: Re: export/import client data
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 08:23:59 -0400
I guess what I am wondering at this point is when the files are imported to
the other tsm server, how does it know what archive copy group to use if it
doesn't exist on the server the data is being imported to?  Or am I going
to have to have the same archive copy group used on the old tsm server on
the new one?  I kind of didn't want to do this, but I don't see any other
way of accomplishing this.  Am I wrong in assuming this?  Thanks!

And thank you everyone for your excellent advice!  It just helps to know
that others have done this successfully!

Joni Moyer
Systems Programmer
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com
(717)975-8338

                      Zoltan
                      Forray/AC/VCU            To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>        cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: export/import
client data
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      08/07/2003 04:34
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

You can IMPORT MERGEFILESPACES  since V5.1.5 and higher, reguardless of
the type of IMPORT (server to server or from tape).

Now that that is clear, be careful of using the import across TSM server
platforms.  I ran numerous "import mergefilespaces" only to have the
imported data/files simply disappear. The import said it finished
successfully. We even watched the files being imported and then when we
went back the following day, all of the imported files (archives) just
disappeared. This was going from a zOS 5.1.6.4 server to an AIX 5.1.6.2
TSM server.   Tried it both ways...export to tape and import from tape as
well as EXPORT TOSERVER...........

After a week of this, I gave up and simply did a complete restore to an
empty test TSM server (AIX 5.1.6) without mergefilespaces, restored the
files to the client node from the test server and then re-archived them to
the AIX TSM server we were trying to import to, in the first place.

"Rushforth, Tim" <TRushforth AT WINNIPEG DOT CA>
08/07/2003 04:16 PM