ADSM-L

Re: Policy Domain Question

2003-08-08 07:13:14
Subject: Re: Policy Domain Question
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 07:12:56 -0400
>My motivation was to keep the backup database size small.
>
>We have to archive about 5,000,000 small files off our NT servers every month.
>I found that our database size was growing by about 5GB per month as a result.
>At that rate I would have had a database that was about 100GB in a year.

That is always a vexing situation; but rather than thinking only of server-side
means of addressing it, consider also client-side methods.  The oft-cited best
method is for the client to combine large groups of files into one, as via the
Unix 'tar' command or various personal computer bundling packages.  At the same
time as making server storage less insane, it allows the client to reduce an
unwieldy number of individual files into smaller, manageable groups.  In that
most Archive files are seldom retrieved, bundling makes a lot of sense.  If
there is resistance from the client, bring the issue to the attention of your
company management, regarding what it is costing in terms of database
management, additional disk space (incl. mirroring), prolonged db backups,
increased TSM recovery time, etc.

  Richard Sims, BU