ADSM-L

Re: copy storage pool implementation

2003-08-04 18:44:51
Subject: Re: copy storage pool implementation
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 08:41:21 +1000
FWIW

I've got three pools on 3590E drives and a mix of J and K tapes (20/40GB raw)

One is for  large backups from our SAP system (150GB raw each, about 55GB
compressed at the drives).  Because of their size reclamation is unproductive
in this pool.

One is for log term (> 6 months) archives.  Most of this is the monthly
archives that management insists we do and are kept for 400 days, but some of
it is "retain forever".  The data on these tapes tends to expire all at once so
that reclamation is quite efficient when run infrequently - once a month or so.

One is for the rest.  I try to let as much data expire as possible.  I only run
reclaims on this pool once per week and set the reclaim percentage at 80%,
because the most efficient reclaim is the one you don't do.  Average tape
utilization on full tapes in this pool is about 47% at the moment.

So, the best mix depends not on the source of your data, but on its expiry
characteristics.  In general a single pool works well, but where there are
specific cases it can be wise to split them out.

HTH

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> znoriega AT ADNOC DOT COM 04/08/2003 19:28:05 >>>
Hi to all,

What is the best practice of using copy storage pool for offsite tapes?  In
our site, we used different copy storage pools for archive, backup and tdp
backups, but it too expensive in terms of media used.  Space reclamation
also takes all the drives if they are running on the same.  Can I use one
copy storage pool for all?  Any help from you is really appreciated.

Thanks
Zosimo Noriega

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipients(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipients(s), or if you have received this e-mail
in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by
return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail message and destroy any hard
copies produced.