ADSM-L

SV: SV: SV: Multiple backup of a file that doesn't change?

2003-08-04 08:49:24
Subject: SV: SV: SV: Multiple backup of a file that doesn't change?
From: Flemming Hougaard <flhou AT NETVAULTING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:49:06 +0200
Hi Andy

Comment as follows (marked with #);

Flemming,

The only possibilities I can think of:

- someone ran a selective backup of the file (how have you verified that
this is not the case?)
 # This is not the case, the only backup which has been performed on this
server is a incremental scheduled backup! (verified through my activity log)!

- trustee rights or other file attributes changed (not sure whether a
change in trustee rights would be reflected in modification date; similar
changes for Windows files do not show up in file modification date)
 # No such thing has happened... and another thing - the other files in the
directory hasn't been backed up again! It seems sporadic regarding the "choice"
of the files there are backed up again (without changes!)

- copygroup has MODE=ABSOLUTE
 # Nope... it isn't

- less likely, but not out of the realm of possibility with the little
information available: incrbydate backups of select files/directories are
being taken, but the entire file system is not backed up, so last file
system backup date is not updated.
 # Not this options either ;o)

As far as I know, there are no known problems with current versions of TSM
regarding the incremental backup of truly unchanged files.
 # guess there are now ;o) - I have upgraded the client to the latest level
(5.2.0)... even though I hate the idea of having to create an administrative
account to access the webinterface!

Regards
Flemming