ADSM-L

Re: tunables on AIX 5.2

2003-08-01 23:40:16
Subject: Re: tunables on AIX 5.2
From: Paul Ripke <stixpjr AT BIGPOND.NET DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 13:37:54 +1000
Anyone who knows more, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

I've been testing various things on AIX 5.1 (not 5.2, yet...). With 5.1
came JFS2, and with that, the AIX buffer cache has changed a little.
"minperm" and "maxperm" relate mainly to JFS. The new parameter
"maxclient" relates to (I believe) NFS client cache, CDFS cached files,
and JFS2.

There is some relationship between "perm" and "client" pages such that
minperm <= maxclient <= maxperm
must hold true.

I'm yet to wrap my head around all of this, but I know that certain
combinations can be harmful... I've had response times on my test system
go up to around the two minute mark with minperm=1, maxclient=2,
maxperm=2
and strict_maxperm=1, although response times are fine with minperm=2,
maxclient=5, maxperm=8 and strict_maxperm=1.

On Saturday, Aug 2, 2003, at 01:38 Australia/Sydney, Wheelock, Michael