ADSM-L

AIX / TSM / Scalar1000

2003-07-30 08:56:22
Subject: AIX / TSM / Scalar1000
From: Robert Anecelle <bob.anecelle AT ADIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 05:35:08 -0700
Hi,

Is anyone aware of a method or solution to configure an ADIC Scalar 1000 with
IBM LTO tape drives on AIX? I understand that Tivoli either uses the TSM device
driver for non-IBM devices and Atape on AIX for IBM devices. What does one do
when you have a mis-match of device types and the TSM device driver claims the
Scalar 1000 medium changer and the Atape device driver claims the IBM LTO tape
drives. Typically the TSM device driver defines changers with the "lbx"
definition and tape drives with the "mtx" definitions. Atape for IBM devices
uses the "smcx" and "rmtx" definitions. Is it possible to mix definitions, i.e.
"lbx" and "rmtx"? I am able to define  the library and tape drives in this
manner but the label process fails with the changer unable to return the
labeled cartridge to the proper storage location. TSM version is 4.2.0.

Bob